Thursday, September 09, 2010

Lighting The Fire

I'm back from my vacation (which ill blog about at a later date) and I must say I’ve never felt so disconnected from the world, when I got back I tried to catch up on all the news/current events that I missed. So much has gone on; I really don't know where to start. I guess I will begin with the most disturbing news I heard...

So we all know about and will forever remember September 11, 2001. My thoughts go out to all the victims & their families! That day has forever changed the U.S. in more ways than one.. The way we trust, the way we profile, our beliefs, our defense mechanisms, our 'patriotism', etc. My goal is not to get too deep into the meaning behind the 9/11 attacks but to talk about the aftermath and September 11, 2010.

By now I’m sure you all have heard of a Reverend named Terry Jones, but in case you haven’t, let me bring you up to date. Terry Jones is a Florida Christian Pastor that's proclaiming September 11, 2010 as 'International Burn a Koran Day', anyone else see the irony in that?

So many thoughts came to mind when I first heard about this foolishness. The first was, where is CHRIST in that? How can one profess Christianity but participate in acts that are ungodly? As Christians we are supposed to show love to one another despite religious background, creed, gender etc. How is this acceptable? Terry Jones has stated that Islam is the 'devils religion' be that the case, shouldn’t he pray for them instead of destroying what they see as their bible? Where is the retribution? In burning these Korans, does it mean there will never be another act of terrorism?

My second thought was, what in the world is going to be the backlash from this? We still have troops in Afghanistan where the official religion is Islam.

Third thought... you cannot blame a religion for 'all things terrorist'. I have seen some CHRISTIANS do some very 'unchrist-like' things. Pastors have robbed their own churches, raped women, killed and molested children... is it safe to say that Christians are to blame for 'all things corrupt'? Shall we go burn all the bibles now?

What does this solve? What does one gain?

Terry Jones can burn all the Korans he wants but he will never burn them all, and burning the Koran will not stop terrorists’ acts. Why provoke the people? Why light the fire? I have to wonder does Terry Jones think this act will somehow deter terrorism, does he think this will cause the Islamic religion to cease, does he believe burning the Koran will be for the greater good, is he simply an instigator with nothing better to do or is he a terroist himself , the kind that incites conflict and stirs the pot of hate?



here's a link for more of the story (copy & paste) --> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100907/ap_on_re_us/quran_burning

No comments: